Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
At Central College Nottingham you have a right to be treated with respect and dignity during your time with us as a learner, member of staff, visitor or service user. To achieve this the college will ensure that you are not treated unfairly for reasons which cannot be legitimately justified. Central College Nottingham is proud of and values the contributions made by the rich diversity of all who work and learn here.
It is our aim to provide an inclusive working and learning environment where everyone in the College community is fully respected and supported.
Central EDI Policy 2013
This policy sets out the requirements and responsibilities of Central College Nottingham for ensuring and advancing equity and fairness to all members of the College community in accordance with The Equality Act 2010 and the Public Sector Equality Duty. The policy also establishes clear College guidance; principles; structures and monitoring arrangements with regard to Equality Diversity and Inclusion (EDI).
EDI Annual Report
The aim of this report is to review the key EDI objectives for the College driven by the work carried out by the EDI Team throughout the academic year. The report is produced on a calendar year basis in order to meaningfully reflect on the achievements of our diverse learners at the end of the previous academic year and of the changes in the college workforce and learner profiles each year.
In our EDI Annual Report we set out 2 Prioritised Equality Objectives, and we detail in our Action Plan what we will do over the next three years to ensure we achieve them. The 2 prioritised equality objectives were identified as headline objectives within the earlier EDI Action Plan 2011 – 2013 and were agreed by the EDI Committee in March 2012. Following the College Self Assessment Process of 2012, these priorities were reviewed for strategic action planning for 2013 – 2014. The objectives are:
- Improve Student Retention and Success Rates for underachieving groups:
- Raise the profile of EDI developments and activities across all college areas to encourage discussion and participation in EDI related topics.
- Develop teaching resources to embed EDI into curriculum.
- Engage staff and learners in EDI activities.
- Target setting and monitoring of EDI data to ensure individual needs are met and achievement gaps are narrowed.
- Identify achievement issues for learners at school level and set school targets to narrow achievement gaps.
- Deliver Mandatory EDI Training to all staff.
- Develop a range of training resources and materials to update the understanding of EDI concepts for ALL staff.
- Ensure ALL staff understand their own and the college’s legislative duties.
Investors in Diversity
The College is working with the National Centre of Diversity, towards achieving the ‘Investors in Diversity’ standard to help us manage and embed EDI through a responsive, planned and holistic approach. The journey towards achieving the ‘Investors in Diversity’ (IiD) standard provides a framework under which the college can bring together its EDI objectives.
The first phase of the journey took the form of an online diagnositc survey which provided all staff and learners an opportunity to share perceptions and experiences around EDI in the college. Nearly 900 members of staff and over 2000 learners took part in the online diagnostic and have provided the college with some valuable feedback.
The results of the surveys can be found the Headline Reports, which have been sent to all staff and learners. These results are now being used to set EDI objectives in a responsive cross college EDI Action Plan.
The publication of these documents is not the end of the process of engagement and action. These documents are the foundations of our work to challenge discrimination and disadvantage, to raise standards and to advance aspirations of all of our stakeholders.
Downloads: (available in Accessible Word and PDF formats)
- Central EDI Policy doc | pdf
- Central EDI Policy - Easy Read doc | pdf
- EDI Annual Report 2011 - 2012 doc | pdf
- EDI Action Plan 2013 doc | pdf
- IiD Learner Survey Headlines doc | pdf
- IiD Staff Survey Headlines doc | pdf
If you would like any further information, or any of the documents in an alternative format, please contact the EDI team:
Eva Chappell (EDI Manager); Sam Coles (EDI Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org ; telephone 0115 8842817