This course will enable learners to understand and use carving techniques to create a small sculpture.
Soapstone is a beautifully coloured soft stone, from the family of greenstones, found all over the world, which is easy to work. It is ideal to use when learning to carve.
- This course aims to provide a supportive atmosphere in which you may develop carving skills and knowledge
- There will be an initial carving exercise for beginners
- You will select your own soapstone block and create an appropriate design for your carving
- You will be introduced to, and enabled to use basic carving concepts and techniques
- Finishing techniques will introduced and used
- There will be individual discussion, guidance and assistance
- Reproductions of the work of past and contemporary carvers will be shown and discussed throughout the course
- Health and Safety will have a high priority
|Location||Date(s)||Course code||Fees / reductions|
Middle Street Resource Centre
Middle Street Resource Centre, 74 Middle Street, Beeston, Nottingham NG9 2AR
07 October 2016 - 16 December 201613:30-16:00
Fees / reductions:Full fee: £73
Fees may be waived if you are in receipt of certain benefits.
No qualification awarded
There are no formal entry requirements.
|Teaching & assessment||
Tutors will give regular verbal and written feedback and you will be encouraged to set your own personal targets as part of this course.
There may be opportunities to progress onto other creative craft courses. The course tutor can discuss appropriate opportunities if you wish to further learning in this subject area.
Soap stone materials will be provided at a cost of £10.00. Please bring an apron. Dust masks and safety spectacles will be provided and must be worn.