This is the essential initial training course for new health and safety reps in the UK. You will meet reps from other unions and other industries and work together on a range of issues that safety reps will need to deal with.
The course will give you a thorough and practical understanding of the health and safety rep’s job and the legal and regulatory framework that supports the work that safety reps do.
Areas covered include:
- The safety rep’s role
- What rights do safety reps have?
- The Health and Safety at Work Act and other essential regulations
- Safety policies and procedures
- Organising members on health and safety issues
- How to carry out a workplace safety inspection
- Investigating accidents
- Working with your employer to improve safety
- Understanding and improving risk assessment
- Safety Committees
- Negotiating improvements in health and safety at work
To view dates of upcoming courses, please click here.
NOCN Certificate at Level 2
You must be an elected or appointed Health and Safety Representative of a TUC-affiliated trade union. Your employer must agree to paid release for the duration of the course.
|Teaching & assessment||
The student makes a portfolio of work based on notes from activities completed during the course with help and guidance from the tutor. Assessment is based on the portfolio produced.
From this course most reps will proceed to take the TUC’s Health and Safety Stage 2 which is Next Steps for Safety Reps
All course materials are provided and there is no charge to you, your union or your employer. Your employer should grant you paid release in order to take this course.