This is the follow on course for reps who have completed their initial health and safety rep training (with TUC or their own trade union). You will meet reps from other unions and other industries and work together on a range of issues that safety reps will need to deal with.
Building on your initial training and subsequent practical experience as a trade union safety rep you can learn how to be more effective in your role, how to be better organised at work and how to influence health and safety decision makers in your workplace.
Areas covered include:
- Health and safety regulation and legislation.
- Building better workplace organisation around health and safety.
- How to carry out and analyse a hazards survey.
- Tackling priority hazards.
- How equality issues impact on health and safety.
- Improving risk assessments.
- Researching health and safety issues.
- Improving safety training.
- Workplace health and safety improvement project.
To view dates of upcoming courses, please click here.
NOCN Certificate Level 3
11 - 12 weeks
You must have completed either TUC H&S Reps stage 1 or your own union’s initial health and safety reps’ training.
|Teaching & assessment||
The student makes a portfolio of work based on notes from activities completed during the course with help and guidance from the tutor. After consulting with their union members and with help and guidance from the tutor, reps also undertake a research project aimed at improving an aspect of health and safety at the workplace. Each student presents their project report near the end of the course. Assessment is based on the portfolio produced and the final project report.
From this course reps can proceed to take the TUC Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety.
All course materials are provided and there is no charge to you, your union or your employer. Your employer should grant you paid release in order to take this course.