We have a qualified Teacher of the Deaf and another experienced tutor for Deaf and hearing impaired students who have a wide range of skills. Their roles include supporting Deaf and hearing impaired students in the following activities:
- Involvement in transition from school and to universities.
- Assessing support needs and Initial Guidance.
- Involvement in admissions procedures, interview and induction.
- Organising and co-ordinating in-class support for Deaf and hearing impaired students.
- Examinations arrangements for Deaf and hearing impaired students.
- Teaching and Tutorial work with individual Deaf and hearing impaired students/small groups.
- Modifying language and adapting students’ written English.
- Advising on and providing audiological equipment such as loop and Soundfield systems.
- Links with outside agencies.
We also have a team of qualified Communication Support Workers. They are skilled sign language users and support Deaf and hearing impaired students in and outside the classroom. Their role involves communication support, note taking and modifying and adapting the language of worksheets, videos and assignments.
They do not have a teaching role but work closely with students to reinforce course content. They liaise with course tutors and work under the supervision of a Tutor for Deaf and hearing impaired students.